OHSAS 18001: Health and Safety Management Systems
OHSAS 18001 is a management system dedicated to occupational health and safety (OH&S) and developed to assist in the reduction and prevention of accidents and accident related loss of life, equipment and time.
The applicability of the certification is extensive and includes all organisations whose employees are exposed to hazards and potential hazards in the process of their work and also others whom your actions could harm. Gaining certification to OHSAS 18001 demonstrates a company’s commitment to a safer working environment and to the protection of its employees. It also protects the public and visitors to your offices, sites and facilities against injury. If properly implemented it should also reduce the possibility of your organisation being prosecuted.
The benefits of gaining OHSAS 18001 certification are diverse. It will assist in enforcing procedures for compliance with legislation, provide better identification of hazards and risk management, and promote teamwork and inclusion through setting objectives, targets and documented responsibilities. It also provides a platform for attracting lower insurance policies, maintaining a good reputation and proving due diligence to the marketplace.
- A clear management system and organisational structure
- Policy of occupational health and safety policy
- An effective risk assessment system to identify potential exposure of hazards to the company’s employees
- Develop effective monitoring of occupational health and safety policies
- Comply with national and international environmental law and legislation